Dependency Override

  • A student’s reluctance to request parent’s financial information or the unwillingness of parent(s) to pay educational expenses or provide information does NOT justify a dependency override.
  • A student’s self-support, as a sole factor, does NOT justify a dependency override.
    Examples of situations where petitions may be approved include an abusive family environment or removal of the student from the parent(s)’ residence by court order.
  • A successful petition for a dependency override depends on the specific information and documentation provided including appropriate legal documents.
  • A dependency override may be granted for one year only. A student must request, and provide the appropriate documentation for, a dependency override each year.

Petition Process

Please submit the following to the Student Financial Aid Office:

  • Personal Statement – On a separate sheet of paper, describe the following:
  • Why you are requesting a dependency override
  • Your relationship with your parent(s) and include any related circumstances
  • How you provide for yourself
  • If you receive support from friends and relatives, describe the nature of the support
    Sign and date your personal statement.


  • Provide statements from at least three individuals who can verify the family circumstances that you described in your personal statement.
  • The statements should be from adults who are not related to you but have direct knowledge of the situation, or professionals from whom you have sought treatment or assistance.
  • Professionals include guidance counselors, doctors, lawyers, family counselors, social workers, law enforcement officers, and clergy members.
  • If a family member, who is not your parent, has raised you or is currently supporting you, submit an additional statement from that family member.
  • Statements must be signed originals but supporting documentation may be photocopies