Independent Undergraduate Students

Except in the most extraordinary circumstances, Wake Forest classifies incoming students as dependent on their parents for institutional financial aid purposes, even though some students may meet the federal definition of “independence.” Students who enroll at Wake Forest as dependent students are considered dependent throughout their undergraduate years when need for institutional grants is determined. For institutional financial aid purposes, a student may not “declare” independence due to attainment of legal age, internal family arrangements, marriage, or family disagreements. When a student applies for need-based aid, both parents, including the noncustodial parent, are required to provide the requested financial information. If you have extenuating family circumstances, you should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.