FAQ: Academic eligibility

  • How many semesters of financial aid can I receive?

    Undergraduate students may receive institutional aid while making satisfactory academic progress and enrolled in coursework required by their academic program.

  • If I drop to part-time status, will this affect my financial aid?

    Students receiving financial aid who are considering enrolling part-time should seek advice from a staff member in the Office of Student Financial Aid. A student enrolled part-time may be able to receive prorated financial aid, including institutional, federal, and state aid programs. Since federal aid is determined on an academic year basis, a student’s part-time spring semester enrollment could potentially also reduce aid eligibility for the previous fall semester.

    An undergraduate student may not register for fewer than twelve hours without specific permission from the appropriate dean to register as a part-time student.

    Enrollment in fewer than six hours triggers earlier loan repayment period start dates than would otherwise be the case.

    Enrollment in fewer than twelve hours may void a student’s health insurance; students should seek advice from their health insurance carrier before enrolling less-than-full-time.

  • Do I have to maintain a certain grade point average to be eligible for financial aid?

    Students are expected to maintain a minimum grade point average based on attempted course hours. Students should refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin or the policy section of the financial aid web site for further details.

  • Is financial aid available to cover the cost of summer school?

    Institutional scholarship aid administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid is not available for summer session classes. Students with remaining Pell Grant or federal loan eligibility may receive these funds for summer enrollment. Limited Work-Study jobs are also available. A separate Application for Summer Financial Aid is required and should be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Aid by mid-April. Parent loans and private alternative student loans are the major forms of aid for summer enrollment. Private alternative student loans must be pre-approved by the lender before being certified by the Office of Student Financial Aid.

  • If I take a semester off during the school year, is my aid transferable to summer sessions?

    Institutional funds are not transferable to summer sessions, but a student may be eligible to receive any unused federal funds. All students applying for summer financial aid must complete the Application for Summer Financial Aid by mid-April.

  • Is financial aid available to cover study abroad options?

    Students who receive need-based aid and are interested in studying abroad should carefully review the university’s study abroad policies.

    In general, students who enroll in one of Wake Forest’s study abroad programs are eligible for aid in the same manner as for a semester on the Reynolda campus. There is, however, no additional need-based scholarship funding to cover additional costs of a study abroad program, and aid is not available in advance to pay for deposits or airfare. Students with remaining federal loan eligibility are able to apply for loans to fund additional costs.

    Students who elect to attend approved non-Wake Forest study abroad programs will find their aid packages will differ significantly from aid packages for a semester on the Reynolda campus. Students should contact both the Office of Student Financial Aid and the Center for International Studies for more details about required procedures. All students interested in studying abroad are encouraged to begin the application process early.