Accepting & Declining Funds

Your financial aid for the 2022-2023 academic year may include one or more funds that are offered in a pending status. You must accept or decline these funds by logging in to your Wake Forest University financial aid portal.

Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN)

If you are a first-time borrower of a Federal Direct Student Loan, you will need to complete the student loan entrance counseling requirement and sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) at


Student Financial Aid will disburse institutional, federal, and state funds just before the start of the fall/spring/summer semesters.

Funds are credited to student accounts electronically. Student records must be complete, enrollment status must be correct, and Direct Loans and/or Federal Work Study must be accepted/declined before funds will disburse to student accounts. Private loan funds are applied to student accounts through electronic fund transfer.

If a student chooses a lender that does not offer electronic fund transfers, loan funds are applied to the student account as soon as the loan check arrives in Student Financial Aid. Paper checks may require the endorsement of the student.

Direct Deposit

Wake Forest encourages students to utilize direct deposit. This will provide you with a convenient and secure way to access your funds faster.

Requesting a Refund

When the credit balance from student financial aid exceeds the charges applied to a student’s account, the student may request a refund of that credit balance to use for their educationally related expenses.

Receipt of Aid

Information on receipt of aid can be found on the Student Financial Aid resources page.

External Scholarship Policy

External scholarships are added to an original financial aid package if possible. In some cases based on federal student aid program rules, external scholarships reduce need-based student loan and work-study eligibility. In no case may aid exceed the estimated cost of attendance.

Veterans Education Benefits

If you are eligible for Veterans Education Benefits as determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), please provide your Certificate of Eligibility to the VA Certifying Official by emailing it to

If you do not yet have a Certificate of Eligibility, you will need to apply for VA Benefits at the VA’s website. To apply, please visit the VA’s application portal and submit an application. Your Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to your home address about 30 days after application.

Other Financing Options

To finance major purchases such as houses, cars and higher education, most families spread the costs over time, by using past savings, drawing on current earnings and/or borrowing against future income.

Portal icon

Financial Aid Portal

Wake Forest students can securely and efficiently view and manage their financial aid through WIN.

Financial Aid Resources

Discover financial wellbeing tools, learn about financial aid receipt and refunds, and explore external
scholarship searches.